- The IJ Spirit Fund was set up in 2014 to mark the 160th anniversary of CHIJ in Singapore.
- The Fund will be used to help students in our Primary and Secondary Schools in Toa Payoh who require various forms of financial assistance.
- Donations made to this fund will go directly to helping the students and will not be used for the Alumni’s operating expenses.
...more about Background
This year we are excited to be celebrating the 160th anniversary of CHIJ in Singapore. The IJ Sisters who came to our shores in 1854 came with the mission of spreading education for girls and caring for the poor and vulnerable children in society. The great work they started has grown over the last 160 years and continues in the 11 CHIJ schools here as well as the IJ Homes.
The Alumni wants to mark this special anniversary in the same spirit of helping those in need with the inauguration of the IJ Spirit Fund. As members of the CHIJ family we have all been touched and benefited in one way or another by the IJ spirit of love and service and, as one of the songs we often sung in school says, we want to pass it on!
Our vision is to set up a special fund which will be used in our Primary and Secondary schools in Toa Payoh to assist the schools in funding initiatives to help students with special needs and those in need of financial assistance as well as to help fund other projects which serve the mission of the schools to provide a holistic education which inculcates IJ values. Every IJ girl deserves access to opportunities which will enable her to reach her full potential and hopefully one day give back to society so that the IJ spirit lives on.
Our aim in this 160th year is to raise $160,000 to get the Spirit Fund started. This is an ambitious target but one we feel we can reach with the generous support of our Alumni members. We are grateful to all who participated in our 160th anniversary events as well as those who could not join us but have already contributed to this cause. Your generosity means we are well on our way. However, to reach this target and beyond that to maintain this fund as a continuous source of support for the financially challenged girls in our IJ family, we need your ongoing support.
We hope you will consider contributing to this effort and thank you in advance for your support in helping us to continue giving back to the IJ family that has given us all so much.
May the IJ spirit live on in each of us!
What the Fund is Used for
This fund will primarily be used to:
- Provide regular financial assistance to students in need through our sponsor a child scheme. Read more >
- Provide ad hoc financial assistance for deserving students in need
- Assist the school in funding other projects which serve the mission of the schools to provide a holistic education which inculcates IJ values for every student
...more about What the Fund is Used for
The IJ Spirit Fund is used for the benefit of current IJ students in our Primary and Secondary Schools in Toa Payoh. If you donate to this fund you can be confident that all your donation will be used for the benefit of these students and not to fund the operating expenses of the Alumni.
The use of this fund includes the following:
- Assisting girls in need of regular financial support.
There are students in both our Primary and Secondary schools who do not qualify for government financial assistance but whose families do struggle to make ends meet. They depend on assistance from the school in the form of $80 per month to cover their transport, food and pocket money allowance. If you wish to donate specifically for this cause you may do so by donating under our sponsor a child scheme. This will ensure that your donation is used exclusively for the benefit of these girls.
You will have the following donation options:
- $80 ( equivalent to one girl’s expenses for one month)
- $400 (equivalent to one girl’s expenses for half a year)
- $800 (equivalent to one girl’s expenses for a year)
- Subsidising the cost of activities / courses which the school deems a student will benefit from but is unable to finance.
Every IJ girl deserves access to opportunities which will enable her to reach her full potential. Unfortunately financial constraints sometimes mean deserving students can not access the same opportunities as their peers. We plan to use this fund to address such needs.
- Assist the schools in funding initiatives to help students with special needs.
- Bursaries for students in need
- Awards for deserving students
- Fund other projects which serve the mission of the schools to provide a holistic education which inculcates IJ values
Make a Donation
- Donations can be made online or by cheque
- You may indicate on the back of the cheque or online which fund you want your donation to go to.
...Make a Donation now
There are three causes to which you can choose to donate:
Cheque Donations (for all)
Please send a crossed cheque payable to "The CHIJ Alumni Association", and mailed to CHIJ Alumni Association, 626 Lorong 1, Toa Payoh , Singapore 319764.
Please indicate on the back of the cheque which of the following you wish to donate to:
- IJ Spirit Fund (general)
- IJ Spirit Fund (sponsor a child)
- Alumni operating Expenses
If no indication is made the donation will go to the general IJ Spirit Fund